Small things make a big difference!
Being rooted in the community enables you to identify the issues that matter most. Children matter.
You can make a big difference to the children and your community
You are best placed to engage with and support your local school and make a positive difference by donating some of your time to help them.
Do you want to get involved in school life? Here are some of the ways that you can help:
- Join a friendly and sociable group who run the PTA (St Mary’s Parents and Teacher Association). They help raise funds for the school by organising events. This can range from planning an event, running a stall or clearing up after an event.
- Become a School Governor. School governors make a valuable contribution to children’s education, opportunities and futures. You do not need to be a parent or have an understanding of the education system, just the necessary skills, character and time to contribute. Schools benefit from a range of professional knowledge on their governing board including education, finance, human resources, legal, marketing etc.
- Helping on school trips. The children sometimes have the opportunity to visit the theatre, a farm, a planetarium – anything that will inspire and educate! To ensure the safety of the children, helpers are needed alongside the teachers to escort the children.
- To comply with our safeguarding regulations if you would like to be involved in school life you may be required to have a valid DBS check obtained through the school or be registered on the Update Service. For further information please contact the school office.
Here are some wonderful websites containing phonics games/resources:
- Oxford Owl Reading books – Choose the drop down menu entitled ‘Levels’, then click on ‘Book Band’, you will see the colour bands which match with those your child has been reading in school.
- Espresso – Scroll down to the bottom and see a range of activitie under Polly’s phonics.
- Phonics Play – Username: march20 Password: home to give full access to all games/resources.
- Teach Your Monster to Read – The computer version of this is free.
- Twinkl – free resources with the code UKTWINKLHELPS.
- Top Marks – Phonics songs, tablet friendly phonics.
- Educational quizzes – Range of quizzes on various phonics sounds and spelling rules.
- BBC Schools – Alphablocks programmes, jigsaws, quizzes. You can also access Bitesize via this link.
- ICT Games – Selection of tablet/desktop friendly phonics games
- Family Learning – Free phonics games